Apple Crumble Pie Recipe
Mrs. VandeVelde from our Hamilton District Christian High FOODs Class has kindly agreed to share her recipe for Apple Crumble Pie – a favourite at Easter.
This amazing pie crust recipe makes the base pastry shell for 4- 5 medium crumble pies!
- 5 ½ cups of flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1 lb of vegetable shortening
In a liquid measure cup
- 1 egg (hand whisked)
- 1 Tbsp of vinegar
- Add water to = 1 cup
Fold together and knead dough in the bowl.
- 3- 4 large spy apples
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- ½ cup of flour
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flour in a bowl.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Arrange a layer of the sliced apples in the unbaked pastry shell.
- Sprinkle some of the filling mixture over it OR add apples to the bowl of the sugar mixture so the apples don’t turn brown.
- Repeat until the pie is full.
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- ¾ cup of flour
- ¾ cup of oatmeal
- 1/3 cup of butter or margarine
- Mix the sugar, flour and oatmeal together.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly
- Sprinkle over filling.
- Keep pie covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake or freeze if you want to save it for another occasion.