Mrs. VandeVelde from our Hamilton District Christian High FOODs Class has kindly agreed to share the recipe for her favourite Birthday Cake. Perfect for a 60th celebration.
This amazing pie crust recipe makes the base pastry shell for 4- 5 medium crumble pies!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups plain flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ Cup oil (preferably olive or canola)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence or vanilla extract
- 1 cup of coffee that has been slightly cooled
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, baking powder into a bowl. Whisk your eggs in a separate bowl and then mix in sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, oil and milk. Using electric beaters, mix together all ingredients except the coffee and boiling water.
- Once the coffee is ready gradually add the coffee and beat until smooth. Mixture will be runny.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 25 cm round or square cake pan. Bake at 180°C or 350°F over for 1 hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and ice with chocolate ganache or frosting.
Family Favourite Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup softened butter (not melted)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 5 cups powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Whip butter and cocoa together until smooth in large bowl. Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Slowly stream in milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Scrape sides and whip again until light, fluffy and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Frosts 1-9 or 8 inch round layered cake or 24 cupcakes.