Wardrobe & Uniforms
The Hamilton District Christian High School dress code has been constructed in order to help the school meet its mission. A student dress code gives the student an immediate sense of belonging while enhancing the image of the school in the community. The goal of the Hamilton District Christian High wardrobe is to present ourselves both in school and out in the community as ambassadors of HDCH. As such, we expect our students to look modest and neat, yet comfortable. Wardrobe will be clean and in good repair at school. In case of a wardrobe malfunction at school, there may be emergency wardrobe pieces available to borrow.
The dress code policy is in effect from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, including lunch and spares. Students are expected to observe all aspects of the dress code for all school days and school-related activities unless alternate standards have been approved by the administration.
Hamilton District Christian High currently has a contract with McCarthy Uniforms. For more information about locations, options and ordering online, please contact them directly at www.mccarthyuniforms.ca
Tops must include a McCarthy shirt. Shirt options include:
- long or short sleeved golf shirt
- navy and burgundy rugby shirt
- white blouse
Students may wear a McCarthy sweater or vest. Sweater options include:
- sweater vest
- pull-over sweater
- zip up sweater
Students may wear a t-shirt under their McCarthy shirt for warmth or comfort. T-shirt options include:
- Crew neck or v neck.
- Long or short sleeves
- Solid colour – no visible patterns or slogans or hoods
Pants may be purchased from McCarthy or another store, provided they meet the colour, style and fabric specifications of McCarthy.
Long pants will be:
- flat front or pleated casual pants.
- Solid navy or beige/tan in colour
- No denim or stretch fabrics
- Relaxed or easy fit (neither tight fit nor overly loose fit)
- Sits at or just below the waist
- Simple, plain adornments
Shorts or capris will be:
- Same styling as above
- Knee-length or just above the knee
To enhance your personal style you are welcome to:
- include jewelry, scarves, socks, belts, and hair ornaments provided they do not detract from, cover up, or change the uniform style and fit
- Hats and headscarves should not be worn during school hours, particularly inside the school building.
Wear and repair
- Clothing will be worn as designed – no tying back shirts or rolling up pants.
- Shirts must be buttoned for modesty.
- Items must be clean, the proper size, and in good repair.
- Pants must be hemmed and without holes.
- Clean, comfortable shoes must be worn at all times.
- Course-related clothing (e.g. PE or shop) will be worn during those courses only.
Special Dress Days (i.e. Dress Down Days)
- Students’ Council is responsible for requesting special dress days.
- Criteria for special dress days will be in the announcements before the date.
- Expectations for fit, lifestyle, and modesty will apply.
We hold wardrobe resales regularly through the school year, during August registration and at both Membership Meetings. If you have McCarthy’s items you’d like to sell, please bring them freshly laundered to the school office. Call the office if you have any questions. 905.648.6655.