The Ontario Government has allowed HDCH to open for in-person learning starting on Monday, February 8, 2021.
IMPORTANT: Two new protocols have been added to increase in-school safety.
- Screening Confirmation The Ministry of Education is requiring proof of daily Covid-19 screening. Beginning on February 8, students must confirm daily that they have passed their screening, in one of two ways:
- Students complete the Ontario School Screening here, and must show a staff member their screening result as they enter the school building.
- Students without the digital ‘green screen’ will answer screening questions before entering the building.
- If students do not pass the daily pre-screen, they must stay home and follow medical advice.
2. Masking on School Property Students and staff must mask while on HDCH property, including outdoors. There will be 15 minutes of mask-off time during the lunch hour.
HD School Format Highlights (Jan–June, 2021)
- Continuing safe in-person learning for students that prioritizes student and staff well-being
- Upon completion of Quarter 3, there will be three turnaround days; students to not attend school on April 19, 20, 21, 2021
- Quarter 4 starts on April 22
- Every five-day week includes a Remote Learning Day on Wednesday, either with virtual classes or independent work assignments
- Fully remote learning, and temporary remote learning, are available: please notify the Vice Principal in either case
- Students may either eat outdoors or in their classroom for lunch
- There are no late buses, as extracurricular events are not running this year.
In-Person Learning Covid Protocols
Asymptomatic siblings: If a child develops symptoms, but their siblings do not, the siblings may still attend school. If a child is diagnosed with Covid-19, then siblings would be directed to isolate.
Notes: Medical notes or proof of negative tests are not required for return to school; however, students who have been diagnosed with Covid-19 must wait to return to school until directed to do so by Public Health.
Students who have a runny nose or a sore throat no longer need to test negative for COVID-19 in order to return to school. They will still have to stay home for at least 24 hours.
If symptoms improve, the student may return to school when they feel well enough to do so. If symptoms worsen, contact your child’s health care provider for further advice, assessment, including if your child needs a Covid-19 test. Here is a link to a handy Covid At Home Protocol, which can help you in decision making.
People exhibiting symptoms at school must be picked up from school immediately; they will be placed in isolation immediately; Hamilton Public Health will be informed
Hand hygiene, distancing, mask-wearing, and movement restrictions, will be part of every day.
Information on HDCH during the Pandemic
Laptop or tablet Whenever possible, students are asked to bring a device that can access the internet and allows for basic keyboard entry, such as a laptop or Chromebook. Our IT staff have Chromebooks, if needed.
In-Person Learning School Schedule
- Morning class will be 9-11:30
- Lunch from 11:30-12:30
- Afternoon class from 12:30-3:00.
Arrive at school no earlier than 8:30 am, and depart from school no later than 3:30 p.m. If you require earlier arrival or later pick-up, please contact Mrs. Webb.
- Students eat lunch in their morning classroom or outdoors
- There will not be access to microwaves or vending machines
- After eating, students may go outside or stay in their morning classroom.
- The cafeteria will be providing fresh-made meals, pre-packaged and distributed touch-free
- Students may leave campus at lunch hour, and are asked to remain vigilant about Covid protocols while off campus
- Mask-off time will be 15 min or less, as per Public Health guidelines
- Students carry belongings; lockers are not provided except for students who are taking physical education classes
Moving Through the School
- Students carry their backpacks if they exit the school for any reason
- Stay to the right in hallways
- Building entrance and exit will be assigned based upon classroom locations
- Classrooms will be equipped with webcams and mics so that students can participate in live-streamed lessons with their classmates.
- If you are choosing remote learning for the entire quarter, or if you need temporary remote learning access, please contact VP Sara Whetstone.
- Students are asked to carry their gym clothes in their backpacks
- On arrival at the gym, students will use the change rooms in small groups, following distancing practices
- Their belongings will be stored in a locker for the duration of gym class
- Visitors (including parents) during the school day must be essential visits only–and visits must be scheduled in advance with the school office.
- Visitors may schedule visits outside of school hours, such as to book a school tour for prospective parents
Promoting Community in the Covid-19 world
- Our school theme this year is CARE. Each person who attends HD will feel cared for as a valued member of our community.
- Teachers are focused on making classrooms places of belonging. It’s a big part of what makes HDCH such a good place to learn and grow.
- Part of community building is keeping everyone informed; watch for information on Edsby, and through Knight Lights, to keep in touch
- Families are welcome to call or request meetings by zoom in order to stay connected with teachers and school activities; contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org