COVID PROTOCOLS AND INFORMATION FOR HDCH STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
On October 1, 2020 the Province of Ontario created new screening requirements for children and teens attending school in person. The screening tool is here, and the CTV news story about this important change is here.
Students who have a runny nose or a sore throat no longer need to test negative for COVID-19 in order to return to school. They will still have to stay home for at least 24 hours.
If symptoms improve, the student may return to school when they feel well enough to do so.
If symptoms worsen, contact your child’s health care provider for further advice, assessment, including if your child needs a Covid-19 test.
Please complete the Self-Assessment for Covid symptoms daily.
IF YOUR CHILD IS ILL: Here is a link to a handy Covid At Home Protocol, which can help you in decision making.
HD School Format (Fall, 2020)
- Full-time, in-person learning for students
- In-person learning will be in regular-sized classes, ranging from 12 to 30 students
- School year is divided into four quarters, instead of two semesters, students take 2 courses at a time for about 9 weeks
- Masks, hygiene, and distancing practices are required all day
- All staff wear medical grade masks (this includes administration as well as teachers)
- Students remain in same classroom for learning and for lunch
- There will be no late buses, at least until February 2021.
- Fully remote learning, and temporary remote learning, are available
- Visitors during the school day are limited to essential visits only–and visits must be scheduled in advance with the school office.
- Visitors may schedule visits outside of school hours
Staff and Student Covid-19 Protocols
- Complete the screen for Covid symptoms daily.
- HDCH is not requesting proof that the self assessment is complete.
- Remain at home when experiencing any Covid-like symptoms for 24 hours
- option of temporary remote learning means students can keep up with classes–please contact VP Sara Whetstone at firstname.lastname@example.org. to request this support
- People exhibiting symptoms must be picked up from school immediately; they will be placed in isolation immediately; Hamilton Public Health will be informed
- Hand hygiene, distancing, mask-wearing, and movement restrictions, will be part of every day.
- Wear masks in the school building, except when eating; please provide 2 non medical masks
- Outdoor mask breaks are permitted, with physical distancing rules in place for community safety
- Visitors, including parents and siblings, may enter the school during the school day only when the visit is essential and when it has been scheduled in advance. Visitors may schedule after school hours visits.
Laptop or tablet
Whenever possible, students are asked to bring a device that can access the internet and allows for basic keyboard entry, such as a laptop or Chromebook. Our IT staff will be available, to trouble-shoot connectivity to our network.
Breaks at Christmas and March are unchanged. PD days have changed to accommodate our new quarter schedule. Every three weeks, students will have a remote learning day, without classroom instruction.
- Morning class will be 9-11:30
- Lunch from 11:30-12:30
- Afternoon class from 12:30-3:00.
Arrive at school no earlier than 8:30 am, and depart from school no later than 3:30 p.m. If you require earlier arrival or later pick-up, please contact Mrs. Webb.
- Students eat lunch in their morning classroom or outdoors
- There will not be access to microwaves or vending machines
- For larger classes, some students may leave to eat, maintaining physical distance of 2 metres
- After eating, students may go outside or stay in their morning classroom.
- The cafeteria will be providing fresh-made lunches, pre-packaged and distributed touch-free
- Students may leave campus at lunch hour, and are asked to remain vigilant about Covid protocols for the safe of community health
- Mask-off time to when people are eating; eating will be 15 min or less, as per Public Health guidelines
- Students carry belongings; lockers are not provided except for students who are taking physical education classes
- Having two classes at a time reduces the number of books and supplies needed.
Moving Through the School
- Students carry their backpacks if they exit the school for any reason
- Stay to the right in hallways
- Building entrance and exit will be assigned based upon classroom locations
- Classrooms will be equipped with webcams and mics so that students can participate in live-streamed lessons with their classmates.
- If you are choosing remote learning for the entire quarter, or if you need temporary remote learning access, please contact VP Sara Whetstone at email@example.com.
- Students are asked to carry their gym clothes in their backpacks
- On arrival at the gym, students will use the change rooms in small groups, following distancing practices
- Their belongings will be stored in a locker for the duration of gym class
Promoting Community in the Covid-19 world
- Our school theme this year is CARE. Each person who attends HD will feel cared for as a valued member of our community.
- Teachers are focused on making their classrooms places of belonging. It’s a big part of what makes HDCH such a good place to learn and grow.
- Our Student Council will plan events that build community and create fun while keeping safety first!
- Larger gatherings will be virtual — like virtual assemblies live streamed into classrooms.
- HD will not be running any in-person extracurricular activities but some extracurriculars may continue remotely
- Part of community building is keeping everyone informed; watch for information on Edsby, and through Knight Lights, to keep in touch
- Families are welcome to call or request meetings by zoom in order to stay connected with teachers and school activities; contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org