COVID PROTOCOLS AND INFORMATION FOR HDCH STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
HD School Format (at August 25, 2020)
- Full-time, in-person learning for students
- In-person learning will be in regular-sized classes, ranging from 12 to 30 students
- School year is divided into four quarters, instead of two semesters, students take 2 courses at a time for about 9 weeks
- Masks, hygiene, and distancing practices are required all day
- Students remain in same classroom for learning and for lunch
- There will be no late buses, at least until February 2021.
- Fully remote learning, and temporary remote learning, are available
- Visitors are not able to enter the school at this time, unless prior arrangements are made and only outside of school hours
Staff and Student Covid-19 Protocols
- Complete the Self-Assessment for Covid symptoms daily. A print version can be downloaded here
- HDCH is not requesting proof that the self assessment is complete.
- Remain at home when experiencing any Covid-like symptoms
- option of temporary remote learning means students can keep up with classes
- People exhibiting symptoms must be picked up from school immediately; they will be placed in isolation immediately; Hamilton Public Health will be informed
- Hand hygiene, distancing, mask-wearing, and movement restrictions, will be part of every day.
- Wear masks in the school building, except when eating; please provide 2 non medical masks
- Outdoor mask breaks are permitted
- Visitors, including parents and siblings, may not enter the school.
Laptop or tablet
Whenever possible, students are asked to bring a device that can access the internet and allows for basic keyboard entry, such as a laptop or Chromebook. Our IT staff will be available, to trouble-shoot connectivity to our network.
Breaks at Christmas and March are unchanged. PD days have changed to accommodate our new quarter schedule. Every three weeks, students will have a remote learning day, without classroom instruction.
- Morning class will be 9-11:30
- Lunch from 11:30-12:30
- Afternoon class from 12:30-3:00.
Arrive at school no earlier than 8:30 am, and depart from school no later than 3:30 p.m. If you require earlier arrival or later pick-up, please contact Mrs. Webb.
- Students eat lunch in their morning classroom
- There will not be access to microwaves or vending machines
- For larger classes, some students may leave to eat at social distance of 2 metres
- After eating, students may go outside or stay in their morning classroom.
- The cafeteria will be providing fresh-made lunches, pre-packaged and distributed touch-free
- Students may leave campus at lunch hour
- Mask-off time to when people are eating; eating will be 15 min or less, as per public health
- Students carry belongings; lockers are not provided
- Having two classes at a time reduces the number of books and supplies needed.
Moving Through the School
- Students carry their backpacks if they exit the school for any reason
- Stay to the right in hallways
- Building entrance and exit will be assigned based upon classroom locations
- Classrooms will be equipped with webcams and mics so that students can participate in live-streamed lessons with their classmates.
- If you are choosing remote learning for the entire quarter, or if you need temporary remote learning access, please contact VP Sara Whetstone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students are asked to carry their gym clothes in their backpacks
- On arrival at the gym, students will use the change rooms in small groups, following distancing practices
- Their belongings will be stored in a locker for the duration of gym class
Promoting Community in the Covid world
- Our school theme this year is CARE. Each person who attends HD will feel cared for as a valued member of our community.
- Teachers are focused on making their classrooms places of belonging. It’s a big part of what makes HDCH such a good place to learn and grow.
- Our Student Council will plan events that build community and create fun while keeping safety first!
- Larger gatherings will be virtual — like virtual assemblies live streamed into classrooms.
- HD will not be running any in-person extracurricular activities but some extracurriculars may continue remotely
- Part of community building is keeping everyone informed; watch for information on Edsby, and through U-knight, to keep in touch
- Families are welcome to call or request meetings by zoom in order to stay connected with school activities