Devotion: Matthew 4:1-11
We invite you to share in our daily devotions.
Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
- Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
- After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.
- The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”
- Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple.
- “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:
“‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”
- Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”
- Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.
- “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
- Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”
- Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.